- I tried standing and/or walking around regularly. I read that this was a smart practice for office workers, but I like my work habit of total immersion for long periods. Interrupting my creative flow for the sake of my butt and back wasn't a great fix for me.
- I tried taking my laptop to different places to work (couch, outside, kitchen counter,...), but I like working in my office.
- I bought a better chair with a better seat design. It didn't help, so I bought a fancy gel cushion for the better chair. My back side continued complaining.
- I bought a knee chair and switched back and forth from office chair to knee chair. That actually helped for some time, but I ultimately wheeled the knee chair into the closet because it was a bit awkward and my legs were stiff after getting up from it.
- I considered gaining 50 pounds or so, figuring some of that added mass would find its way to my admittedly bony butt, but it didn't seem like a healthy choice. Okay, I really didn't seriously think about that one. :)
I love the gel mat I purchased in anticipation of this change. We have concrete floors, so I figured I'd need some cushioning for the sake of my feet and joints. I'll transition slowly, experiment with the length of time I spend at each desk, and make modifications as needed (I already know I want to add a little stool so I can prop one foot or the other on it from time to time), but I hope to report great success with my workplace addition. So far, I'm quite happy with things as they now stand. hehehe