- Daeva - The year started off right when, in January, I found a wonderful publishing home for Daeva, a novel that I've worked on very hard for a very long time. Aqueous Books will publish it in June 2014. Yes, still a year and a half away, but I'm so thrilled to be part of Aqueous's line up, I don't even mind the wait.
- Dark Knowledge - This novel was already released as an ebook. As of October 2012, it's available in paperback too. Now I have something new to drag around to book signings and events. (DK's Amazon page)
- "Final Vision" - I was honored when Janet K. Brennan asked me to be the guest author for her upcoming collection of short stories (background here), and I'm very pleased with the story I wrote for the occasion. Now Tango Sunday is scheduled to be released mid-January 2013. Yay!
The writing lowlight for 2012 is my lack of new material written (other than "Final Vision" and a Halloween short story, "The Pumpkin Lady," I wrote for a Keepers of the Crypt event). I have a great WIP (that's writer shorthand for "work in progress" for you non-writers out there) about 1/3 written, but it's stalled because I'm not keeping my butt in the writing chair. I'd like to blame 2012--not that it's been a bad year. It hasn't. But it has been a busy year, with some nice non-writing highlights.
- Early in the year, way back in February, we stumbled onto the perfect house in the perfect neighborhood. We weren't planning to relocate, but we couldn't resist. We moved. That meant fixing up a house to sell, all the many efforts of buying and selling, moving and furnishing, then fixing up the house we bought to be the way we want it. Whew, still working at it.
- We also traveled, having decided we were at that age and stage when we could and should travel more.
Is trying to blame all of 2012's non-writing activities a poor excuse for all my non-writing months? Definitely. But there you go. I won't use the same lame excuse for 2013. I'm ending this year by ramping up to pick up where I left off on my neglected WIP, and I have some ideas to whip up more WIPs for 2013. No excuses.
I enjoyed 2012 very much, and I feel fortunate to have had such a great year, despite the lack of writing motivation. I'm thankful for my partner, our good health, our dogs and home, those we've loved for years, new friends made this year... I'm taking loads of positive energy into 2013. I'm also bringing itchy fingertips into the new year, and I'm hoping that signals the return of my urge to spend hours tapping away at my keyboard to create new characters and new worlds and not the onset of some weird nerve disorder. I'll keep you posted.
Happy New Year, Everybody.