Saturday, April 30, 2011

Try to be alive

I stumbled on a great website for author inspiration today. It's http://advicetowriters.com. I've only given it a quick once over so far. A Mark Twain quote about caring for characters really spoke to me, like Mark Twain quotes tend to do, but my favorite quote so far is this one, by William Saroyan.
The most solid advice . . . for a writer is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell, and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.

--WILLIAM SAROYAN
Any other writers find favorites there? 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. And so true. Live while you can and live to the fullest. Nice quote, Keith. It's so sad how many people don't grasp just how precious it is to be alive. Or else they do when it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Joylene. Timing is everything, and now is the time to appreciate being alive.

    As far as applying it to writing, I'm always thinking as I write, what does this feel like? What physical reactions does this emotion cause? Where would this character's mind go upon learning this, facing this, suffering this... Sometimes I leave the computer, and I'm consciously conscious of what I'm feeling, a little more alive in the real world than I was before sitting down to write a block of fiction.

    Ain't it fun?

    ReplyDelete