Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mimic the Saguaro

I took a day off from writing on the new novel yesterday to enjoy a beautiful morning hiking Ventana Canyon just outside of Tucson. Perfect day, incredible views, great hike. I figured, though away from the computer, I'd plot as I plod, but my mind even took the day off from the novel. Can you blame it with views like these?


But I did find inspiration...in a cactus. There are many, many saguaros in Ventana Canyon, and I love them all, but I did find two favorites.


The first picture is a saguaro that caught my eye because it had so many arms. I don't recall seeing one with so many before. Keep in mind saguaros grow slowly. They can take up to 75 years to develop their first arm. The second picture is another cactus that has really hung in there. Apparently the ledge it was growing on fell out from under it, but it had enough anchor remaining to stay in place. And grow. What determination and perseverance. I do believe these saguaros could make it as a writers.

2 comments:

  1. Incredibly beautiful, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joylene. I don't have your sharp eye and camera skills, but some things are so great, even I can get a beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete