Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy Vernal Equinox

Vernal translates from Latin to Spring,
Equinox translates from the Latin words aequus, which means equal, and nox, which means night.

Welcome to spring and the day when the hours of daylight and nighttime are nearly equal. I love the equinoxes, which won't surprise anyone who has read Struck. In my novel, the earth was threatened from a ritual performed in Chaco Canyon on the vernal equinox, and whether or not Earth would survive was determined on the next autumnal equinox.

I enjoyed making multiple visits to the Anasazi ruins in Chaco Canyon as I geared up for, wrote, and refined Struck. Like many ancient civilizations, the ancestors of today's Pueblo Indians were very much in tune with the solar and lunar cycles. There are still big events at the ruins in Chaco Canyon to mark the summer solstice, the longest day here in the northern hemisphere and the start of summer. There may be celebrations for the winter solstice and equinoxes as well, but the summer solstice is the flashy one, as I've mentioned in a previous blog.

I still like the equinoxes, though, especially the vernal equinox, or as I like to call it for the rest of the day, today. Buds ready to burst forth with leaves or blossoms, warmer days coming, lots of sunlight. So happy vernal equinox, everyone, and enjoy the spring.

2 comments:

  1. Dang, I missed it this year due to an illness. The stupid stomach flu. You got it -- I never saw anything but the inside of my bathroom. But! It's gone now and I'm back to my old self. But hey -- that's not true. I'm 7 lbs lighter, so I'm back to a thinner self. Yay!

    Hi Keith. Love the look of your blog. Jack sure does know his stuff.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Joylene, a 7 lb case of the flu is a very bad thing indeed. Actually, I've never had one that bad, so I can only imagine (and hope to keep it that way). I'm glad you're over it now.

    Ain't Jack good? The blog design is actually mostly me, however, but he trained me somewhat. He made me the picture part of the top graphic to match my website. Then I toyed around with the rest, trying not to introduce too many colors or fonts, etc. I'm so glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete