Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I write like...

I stumbled on an interesting site, especially for writers. You input writing samples, and it analyzes your style and tells you who you write like.

I put in the prologue from my unpublished novel, Above Haldis Notch, which is a paranormal thriller/magical realism novel. It told me I write like James Joyce.

Then I tried various other sections from Above Haldis Notch -- single chapters, multiple chapters, and multiple chapters that included the prologue. Using early chapters, I always got the same response:

I write like
Stephen King

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


I did several runs using the last chapters and just as consistently got matched with Margaret Atwood.

For another unpublished novel, a literary horror/paranormal, psychological thriller I call Daeva, I tried various chapters and combinations of early chapters, and I always got this result:

I write like
Chuck Palahniuk

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


Using chapters closer to the end of Daeva, it again told me I write like Stephen King every time I entered chapters.

CLICK HERE to visit the I Write Like website. Who do you write like?

3 comments:

  1. Oh I definitely am going to try this one out!

    Yes, I can very much see Stephen King. Not so much on a hardcore level as him but in the same element of using both the physical and psychological aspects.

    I'm very curious too now what I have. Gotta find post it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I drew the Stephen King ticket as well. **sigh**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Also David Foster Wallace, Jack London, and Chuck Palahniuk. Go figure. LOL

    ReplyDelete