Sunday, October 07, 2007

Dogs

I've always had a dog, probably always will. We have two now. Here's a shot of them taken last week on a hike up on the Sandia Mountains.



These less traveled trails allow dogs to be off the leash, and they can burn up some energy. Here they are that evening, worn out.


Both are "adopted." The shepherd mix, Nicky, comes from the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. I got her when she was less than 6 weeks old and I could hold her in the palm of my hand. She's over 12 years old now, and she's still healthy, happy, and a joy every day.

Tripp, the Siberian Husky, is about 3. We've had him since he was 10 months old, another adoption from an animal shelter, this time one in Albuquerque. He was quite sick, had a questionable past, and had been at the shelter longer than they usually keep dogs. It took some doing, but he got well, and we're so glad we have him.

So how's this post about writing? It's not. Well, not really. They do stick with me while I write. First Nicky. She was always at my side in Vermont. Let me see if I have a picture of that.


Okay, so I'm not writing in this picture, but it is from a period when Nicky was young and I was a decade younger than I am now. She used to lie at my feet for hours on end while I wrote. I could get carried away with writing, but she always knew when it was time for a break. She'd insist on a romp in the woods, and it would refresh us both. Then she'd sit in my chair with me at night, obviously.

Now both dogs are usually near or under my feet when I write. Even when I blog. Dogs have always meant a lot to me, so here's one more picture. It was taken the day we brought Tripp home from the shelter. We already knew he was family. So did Nicky.



**************** Sad update, 2/16/08 ****************
Our sweet Nicky is gone. Bad days at the end of her happy life were few, and there was no pain.

Nicky had a huge role in making my life wonderful for 12 1/2 years. We miss her. We'll always miss her, but once the ache of loss eases, all our memories of her will be bright.
******************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment